Helping people and companies create true well-being
Meet Dr. Carla Hightower, The Superfood Coach™
As a certified health coach and wellness expert, I founded Living Health Works to provide wellness workshops and online courses to teach educational information on food and lifestyle changes that help you heal yourself. I also work directly with companies to help create healthy energetic teams.
Healthy nutrition and lifestyle choices support your well-being so that you can live fully and thrive. I believe you can replace doubts about your future with peace of mind.
Research studies show that plant-based nutrition, superfoods, and lifestyle habits help…
- Boost energy
- Strengthen the immune system
- Promote healthy weight loss
- Maintain normal blood sugar
- Maintain normal blood pressure
- Decrease inflammation
- Decrease insulin resistance
- Support heart health
- Reduce joint pain
- Reduce nerve pain
What makes Living Health Works unique is my extensive education and training, particularly my MD background and coaching certification. My wellness workshops and courses deliver evidence-based educational information that’s up to date and easy to understand.
- Doctor of Medicine, Northwestern University
- Anesthesiology residency, Northwestern University
- Certification in Integrative Health Coaching, Duke University
- Certificate in Plant-based Nutrition, Cornell University
- MBA, Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University
- Advanced Certificate in Medical Writing, University of Chicago Graham School
- Over 20 years of experience as a practicing physician anesthesiologist
- An engaging public speaker before professional audiences on the subject of healthy food and lifestyle habits that boost energy and productivity and support health and well-being
- Media appearances include CBS 2 News and Chicago area radio shows, WGN, WVON, and AM 560
- Professional accomplishments showcased on the AARP website
- Panelist at First Ladies Health Initiative, sponsored by Walgreens
- Panelist at Forward Food Leadership Summit, sponsored by The Humane Society and Northwestern University
The wake-up call that transformed my life
In 2008, I was chairman of my anesthesiology department (Good Samaritan Hospital, Dayton) and dedicated to helping my patients, but my own health was out of control. One by one, I developed problems with numerous parts of my body. I experienced acid reflux, abdominal pain, back pain, joint pain, inflammation in my hands, prediabetes, and a resistant case of pneumonia.
Like a hamster on a wheel, I took a steadily increasing amount of medication but still felt unwell. Personally, I knew I had to change and regain control of my health because my daughter was only 12, and I had to be there for her.
Interestingly, I noticed the contrast between my mother and me. She was energetic and always seemed to be in a good mood. For years, she had been warning me about unhealthy foods in my diet. Although I exercised regularly, my diet wasn’t great. Once I began eating healthy plant-based meals, my health remarkably improved. I went from tired and unwell to energetic and symptom-free. Within weeks, I reversed my prediabetes naturally.
Research shows nutrition and lifestyle habits provide robust health and wellness benefits. In addition to a healthy lifestyle, I recommend that you also have a traditional doctor on your team to provide any medical advice you may need.
I know a healthy lifestyle looks simple, but it’s not easy to use trial and error to figure it out on your own. Conflicting information and even misinformation are obstacles preventing you from reaching your goals. However, with the right educational resources and support, you will start your wellness journey on a clear path to your goals.
It’s my pleasure to show you how to live well and thrive!
Take Another Look Video